THE HISTORY OF THE KING'S ROYAL HUSSARS
The Colonel-in-Chief of The King's Royal Hussars is HRH The Princess Royal KG KT GCVO
Senior Colonel, The King's Royal Hussars is HRH Prince Michael of Kent GCVO
The Regiment recruits primarily from the counties of Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, the Channel Islands, Lancashire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester and North Somerset.
The King's Royal Hussars was formed on 4th December 1992 with the amalgamation of The Royal Hussars (PWO) with the 14th/20th King's Hussars. The Royal Hussars were formed in 1969 by the amalgamation of the 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales' Own) and the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own). The 14th/20th King's Hussars were formed in 1922 with the amalgamation of the 14th (King's) Hussars with the 20th Hussars.
The Regiment celebrates Balaklava Day, resulting from the action carried out by the 11th Prince Albert's Own Hussars in the Charge of the Light Brigade on 25th October 1854. It is to be celebrated on or as near to 25th October as possible.
HorsePower, The Museum of The King's Royal Hussars
We are very proud of our history and hope you enjoy reading this exciting journey through time.
10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales' Own)
The 10th was raised as Gore's Dragoons at the time of the First Jacobite Rebellion in 1715. They subsequently saw service in the Second Jacobite Rebellion in 1745 and then during the Seven Years War in Germany.
In 1783, the Regiment changed its title to the 10th Light Dragoons (Prince of Wales's Own) by command of King George III who appointed his son, the then Prince of Wales, as Colonel. In 1806 the Prince of Wales clothed and equipped the Regiment as Hussars, thus making them the first Hussar Regiment in the British Army.
During the First World War, the Regiment fought in France and Belgium, and in the Second World War served in North Africa, Italy and Germany. Thereafter, the Regiment served in England, Jordan, the Arabian Peninsula and Germany.
11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own)
The 11th Hussars (PAO) was raised in 1715 as Honywood's Dragoons, and also saw service in both the First and Second Jacobite Rebellions. Like the 10th, they next saw action during the Seven Years War. Under the Duke of Wellington, the Regiment saw action in the Peninsula War, traditionally earning the name "Cherrypickers" for an action in a cherry orchard. Later at Waterloo, they captured the last French guns in action. In 1840, the Regiment escorted Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg from Dover to Canterbury before his marriage to Queen Victoria. Impressed by their smartness Prince Albert requested that the Regiment should henceforth be called the 11th Prince Albert's Own Hussars, and should wear his crimson livery trousers, which survive to this day.
For the duration of the First World War, the Regiment fought dismounted in Flanders. In 1928, the Regiment became the first Cavalry Regiment to be mechanized. During the Second World War they saw distinguished service in the Desert Campaign and in Northwest Europe. Thereafter, the Regiment served in Malaya, Northern Ireland, Aden, Kuwait and Germany.
The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales' Own)
The Royal Hussars (PWO) were formed on 25th October 1969 by the amalgamation of the 10th Royal Hussars (PWO) and the 11th Hussars (PAO).
Following their formation, The Royal Hussars (PWO) saw service in Cyprus, Hong Kong, Belize, BAOR, Canada and Northern Ireland. In 1983, they became the first Regiment to receive the Challenger Main Battle Tank. In early 1990, following a short time at Tidworth, D Squadron was detached to Cyprus as the Soivereign Base Armoured Car Squadron, whilst the remainder of the Regiment moved to Munster, Germany, where it remained until amalgamation in 1992.
14th (King's) Hussars
The 14th was raised as Dormer's Dragoons in 1715 to combat the First Jacobite Rebellion. Following the Second Jacobite Rebellion in 1745, the Regiment was subsequently employed on internal security duties in Ireland for the greater part of the 18th Century.
Perhaps the period of greatest achievement for the 14th was in the Six-year Peninsula War in Portugal and Spain. The 14th gained a reputation second to none as Light Cavalry, and were particularly highly thought of by the Duke of Wellington, who did not always have kind things to say about the British Cavalry. The Officers' Mess still has a silver chamber-pot that a patrol of the 14th removed from the Carriage of Napoleon's brother (Joseph, King of Spain) after the Battle of Vittoria in 1813.
The 14th played a major role in the Sikh Wars, 1846-1849, and in the invasion of Persia in 1857, following which the Regiment returned to India and operated with conspicuous success against rebels in the Indian Mutiny. Following the South Africa War, where the Regiment was heavily involved, the 14th served in Mesopotamia and Persia from 1915-1919.
The 20th, originally raised as Dragoons in Enniskillen in 1759, served only in wartime until 1862, because being a junior regiment, they was subjected to disbandment after each conflict. The Regiment had great delight in its nickname of 'Nobody's Own' as it had no Royal Colonel.
In 1791, the 20th served in Jamaica during the Maroon War (1795-1796), was present at the capture of Cape of Good Hope in 1806, and was subsequently moved to serve in South America at Monte Video and Buenos Aires. A portion of the Regiment also took part in the descent on Calabria, and was also present at the Battle of Maida.
The Regiment went to Portugal in 1808, and was distinguished in its service at Vimiera, also receiving great praise from the then Sir Arthur Wellesley, for both conduct and valour.
The 14th/20th King's Hussars were formed on 1 October 1922 by the amalgamation of the 14th (King's) Hussars and 20th Hussars.
After formation in 1922, and mechanisation in 1938, the 14th/20th King's Hussars found itself in India at the outbreak of the Second World War. It formed the spearhead for the invasion of Persia in 1941, and remained in the Middle Eastern Theatre until the end of 1944 when it joined the British 8th Army in Italy. On the 16th April 1945, the Regiment, with the 6th Gurkha Rifles, took by assault the strongly fortified town of Medicina.
The King's Royal Hussars
The King's Royal Hussars was formed by the amalgamation of The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales' Own) and the 14th/20th King's Hussars on the 4th December 1992.
Follow this link for the history of The King's Royal Hussars